Executive Summary of the Study „The Effects of Digitalisation on Gender Equality in the G20 Economies” Released
5. May 2017
On the occasion of the Women20 Summit in Berlin from 24-26 April 2017, the Emerging Market Sustainability Dialogues (EMSD) network jointly with Women20 and the Kiel Institute for the World Economy launched the Executive Summary of the study „The Effects of Digitalisation on Gender Equality in the G20 Economies“.
The study investigates how digitalisation will affect women’s labour market and financial inclusion in G20 countries, in what ways the G20 governments currently foster gender equality, and which additional policies they should adopt to foster gender equality more effectively in the digital age.
Key findings include:
- Digitalisation creates opportunities for narrowing gender gaps in G20 countries
- Women’s jobs will be less affected by digitalization
- Women need better access to higher education
- Complementarities between higher education, social skills and digital skills will favour women
The full version of the study will be available on the occasion of the G20 Summit in Hamburg, July 2017, on the following websites:
- EMSD: www.economic-policy-forum.org/topic/digital-economy/
- W20: www.w20-germany.org
- IfW: www.ifw-kiel.de/publications/e-books
EMSD is W20’s international implementation partner and supports the group with a research study on women’s economic empowerment in the digital age across the G20, W20’s consultation process, digital tools, as well as intellectual and logistical support.